Sunday, November 23, 2008

Free Writing on Saturday Night

In the Army of Wonder

I should be sleeping, coiled within 
ambition's reed boat of rest. Someplace
in the quantum mess, a funeral for striving
is winding down alleys that would erupt

into boulevards, if they could just get past 
their dumpsters and the ragged ones
who piss on graffiti and wish for ships
to sail them home to the stars. Indigo's

not a color an artist might feature . . . 
though it's the one most accessible 
to the unimaginative. My eyes glaze to buttons. 
Where has the pillow of solutions gotten?

It's a hard head that steers through
the fists of winter days, while a calm spirit 
reconnoiters halos and filters the comets.
Must twins deny their sameness? 

Lust in the gleam of a pear promises
the same decay, the same regression 
into ancient habits. Foreign adventurers
want to claim this island, and I seem unable 

not to defend this sandy foundation 
of doubts and giftless effort. Hurricane
dimensions and welded shutters welcome
the sailor I've not become. A final float

drifts down the fingers, and I am only
as lost as I was before. The wind can't touch me 
if I stay in this chair. Good night, 
gentle planets. Orbit in good cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment