Thursday, March 26, 2009

On Returning to the Blog

So much time since my last entry. Typical, in a way. I tend to go through spells where my writing lies fallow. Though I have been working on revisions to many poems . . . some from nearly a decade ago. Such a lot of effort over so long a period, to produce little that seems appealing to any reader beyond myself. 

Well, it's a labor that demands and, in many personal ways, rewards all the effort. I went with a friend last night to see Natalie Goldberg read and discuss her book on writing memoir. When asked about the practice of writing, she offered the same advice that I heard Grace Paley once give: If you need to write, write . . . if you don't, don't . . . there's lots of other stuff to do in this world. 

I guess I really need to write.

We'll see if I recommit to doing some of that writing on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment