Thursday, December 11, 2008

Evening Poem

Hey, Here I Am

Someone's smoking on the fire escape,
an act forbidden by condo regs . . . 
so the story slipped beneath the door 

of every unit claims. Justice wants only
an emergency to meander onto 
the building's rusty braces. Who caught
this alleged infidelity? And was there no 
opportunity to identify the one

who trespassed? We've been warned,
and next time monetary damages 
will be assessed. Hallelujah. Rules 

writhe like snakes in the pit of our
disrespect. If I had a laptop, I'd take
this piece of protest out the window. 
Barefoot, so the steel mesh could 
imprint my soles with temporary scars.

Naked maybe, too. Why not stand before
the empty offices of the Hancock Tower,
backlit by my pedestrian living quarters?

I might yell, there is no emergency . . .
beyond my imagination gnawing 
at its leash. Perhaps a neighbor would 
report such vehement maundering. 
Perhaps the gods who manage the ridiculous 

would stop to applaud . . . good work, 
vigilant neighbor . . . to be awake and able
to spy an unclothed vagabond, 
who only wanted someone 
to find him.

No comments:

Post a Comment